Saturday, September 22, 2007

DosBox - DOS emulator


If I had to sort the OS that I have used by how much I like them I think that I would end up with this list:
  1. Ubuntu Linux
  2. Windows XP
  3. MS-DOS 6.22
  4. Windows 95
  5. Windows 3.11
  6. Windows 98 (stay away from me!)
The third place is held by MS-DOS. A simple and fast OS. It would be at the second position if it supported Internet... But DOS is now completely abandoned. Even Microsoft Windows does not run old MS-DOS applications and especially games!

Thankfully some guys made DosBox so that everybody can play his/her favorite old-fashioned games. DosBox is a free, complete Intel x86 PC emulator; it emulates the CPU, the graphics card, the sound card and supports joystick, mouse and many other things! It is open source and free software and will run on Linux and Windows. To play a game simply mount a directory as a drive in DosBox but I won't tell you how to do this. Instead go to this page to download DosBox and then visit the Wiki for more information on how to use the program.

Some suggestions:
There is also another DOS emulator for Linux called DosEmu. I don't have much experience with it but I think that DosBox is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts